I have worked as a senior investigator in the statistical genomics group, since joining the BSU in 2012. Previously I did a staff Ph.D. in statistical genetics at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine and, subsequently, spent three years in the statistical genetics group at GlaxoSmithKline.
My primary research interests, typically in the context of genomics data, are:
- Methodology for variable/model selection, particularly in the Bayesian framework
- Evidence synthesis/Meta-analysis
- Predictive inference
I have implemented several algorithms for variable selection via sparse Bayesian regression, including for binary and time-to-event outcomes, and for summary genetic association data. These are freely available in the R package R2BGLiMS.
I maintain a personal website (with some notes on R) here.
- Newcombe P.J., Conti, D.V., and Richardson, S. (2016)
JAM: A Scalable Bayesian Framework for Joint Analysis of Marginal SNP Effects
Genetic Epidemiology, In Print
- Newcombe, P.J., Raza Ali, H., Blows, F.M., Provenzano, E., Pharaoh, P.D., Caldas, C., and Richardson, S. (2014)
Weibull regression with Bayesian variable selection to identify prognostic tumour markers of breast cancer survival
Statistical Methods in Medical Research 0962280214548748: Epub ahead of print
- Newcombe, P. J., Reck, B. H., Sun, J., Platek, G. T., Verzilli, C., Kader, A. K., Kim, S., Hsu, F., Zhang, Z., Zheng, S. L., Mooser, V.E., Condreay, L. D., Spraggs, C. F., Whittaker, J.C., Rittmaster, R.S., & Xu, J. (2012)
A Comparison of Bayesian and Frequentist Approaches to Incorporating External Information for the Prediction of Prostate Cancer Risk.
Genetic Epidemiology 36: 71-83
- McCarthy, L. C., Newcombe, P. J., Whittaker, J. C., Wurzelmann, J. I., Fries, M. A., Burnham, N. R., Cai, G., Stinnett, S., Trivedi, M.T., & Xu, C. F. (2012)
Predictive models of choroidal neovascularization and geographic atrophy incidence applied to clinical trial design.
American Journal of Ophthalmology 154: (3), 568-578.e12
- Holmes, M. V, Newcombe, P., Hubacek, J. A., Sofat, R., Ricketts, S. L., Cooper, J., Breteler, M. M. B., Bautista, L. E., Sharma, P., Whittaker, J. C., Smeeth, L., … & Casas, J. P. (2011)
Effect modification by population dietary folate on the association between MTHFR genotype, homocysteine, and stroke risk: a meta-analysis of genetic studies and randomised trials.
- Shah, T., Newcombe, P., Smeeth, L., Addo, J., Casas, J. P., Whittaker, J., Miller, M. A., Tinworth, L., Jeffrey, S., Strazzullo, P., Cappuccio, F. P., & Hingorani, A. D. (2010)
Ancestry as a determinant of mean population C-reactive protein values: implications for cardiovascular risk prediction. Circulation.
Genetics 3: (5), 436-44
- Newcombe, P. J., Verzilli, C., Casas, J. P., Hingorani, A. D., Smeeth, L., & Whittaker, J. C. (2009)
Multilocus Bayesian meta-analysis of gene-disease associations.
American Journal of Human Genetics 84: (5), 567-80