Travel for all BSU short courses
How to find the MRC Biostatistics Unit at CIPH Forvie Site
- London Stansted airport is only 30-40 minutes away from Cambridge by car (via the M11) and regular rail and bus services run directly to the city centre.
- National Express also run regular services to other UK airports- please see their website for details
- Trains run every half an hour from London. Trains from London Kings Cross take about 50 minutes while the less direct trains from Liverpool Street station can take about 1h 20 minutes.
- For details of train timetables please see the National Rail Enquiries website
- If travelling from the North of the country it is worth noting that all trains to Cambridge pass through Ely and often changes have to be made here.
- BSU is a 5-15 minute drive from the station by taxi (depending on the traffic) and there is also a regular bus service (the Stagecoach Citi1) between the station and Addenbrookes Hospital Bus station which is a 5-10 minute walk away from the Unit.
- There are good bus links to the Addenbrookes hospital site where the Biostatistics Unit is located. Several Citi buses (C1, C2, and C7) and Uni4 and two park and ride buses (99 and A) stop here.The C1 and C7 buses go from the station to the Hospital. These buses leave every 8 mins and take 8 mins.
- The MRC Biostatistics Unit is a 5-10 minute walk from Addenbrooke’s bus station. The easiest way from the bus station to the Unit is to walk round the outside of the hospital buildings (see instructions below and the second map for details)
- On exiting the bus at the bus station, head away from the buses towards the pedestrian crossing on your right. Cross the road using this crossing and then follow the footpath to the left, past the Oncology centre and the Clinical School workshops. Proceed past the second pedestrian crossing and at the third pedestrian crossing, cross the road again. Follow the footpath right until you see the pedestrian entrance to the University Forvie site on your left.
- Information on the Guided Bus routes to and from Addenbrooke’s – ask to be dropped off at the Rosie Hospital stop.
- Entering Cambridge from the south, via the A1307 (Hills Road), turn left into Long Road/A1134 and left into Robinson Way (on the western edge of the Addenbrooke’s campus). At the roundabout turn left. Follow the signs for the University Forvie Site (first turn left).
- From London, approaching Cambridge on the M11, leave the motorway at Junction 11 and follow the signs for the A1309 South Cambridge. From the A1309, turn right – almost immediately – on to the Addenbrooke’s Road (signposted Shelfords, Hospital and the Biomedical Campus). Continue along the Addenbrooke’s Road (go straight over at the Shelford Road’s traffic lights bear right at the first roundabout and over the railway bridge). At the second roundabout go right onto Dame Archer Avenue. Then turn right on the traffic light and right again on the mini-round about. Follow the signs for the University Forvie Site. The Cambridge Institute of Public Health is the long low building on the right hand side as you enter the parking area.
- Using a satnav – The BSU postcode (CB2 0SR) – this will bring you to Robinson Way, a short distance from the building.
- For maps to the campus, please see the section at the bottom of the page.
- Car parking at the CIPH Forvie site is restricted to permit holders only. There are only six visitors’ spaces which must be booked. To enquire about availability, please ring 01223 330300. Visitors who have not reserved parking in advance may be asked to make alternative parking arrangements off site.
- Another solution for when we have no visitors’ parking available is the new multi-storey car park at Addenbrooke’s Hospital. It takes about five minutes to walk to the IPH from there.
- A number of Park and Rides services are available for Cambridge and Addenbrooke’s is particularly convenient for the Barbraham Road (Park and Ride), Madingley Road (Uni4 service) and Trumpington Road (H1 service) Park and Ride sites. Please see the following website for details of these services.
- Park and ride and Uni4 services – Stagecoach website
- H1 Service – Addenbrooke’s Hospital website
Addenbrookes Site Map:
Directions to the Cambridge Institute of Public Health:
By vehicle: On entering the University Forvie Site, take the first road on the left. The Institute of Public Health is the long low building on the right hand side as you enter the parking area. The reception entrance and visitors parking is in the second bay on the right. Please note: Visitors parking is available by pre-booking only
On foot: The pedestrian entrance to the University Forvie Site is to the left of the vehicular entrance. Follow the path through the wooded area and the Institute of Public Health is the long low building in front of you on the other side of the parking area.