Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
I am a clinical trial statistician who is strongly committed to providing comprehensive and robust statistical support to my collaborators, to work together to improve the health and well-being of patients and the public. My research focuses on the intersections of trials methodology to continually optimise complex or dynamic interventions, data visualisations, and modelling techniques for longitudinal and survival data.
Originally from Australia, I joined the BSU in February 2022, to work with Dr Sofia Villar, after undertaking doctoral studies at The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine supervised by Professor Elizabeth Williamson and Professor Henry Potts (UCL), and funded by the MRC Hub for Trials Methodological Research. I have also previously worked at the Pragmatic Clinical Trials Unit and Research Design Service at Queen Mary, University of London, The Nossal Institute for Global Health at the University of Melbourne, and as a Research Methodologist at The Australian Bureau of Statistics.
Hub of Trials Methodological Research: Partnership between Medical Research Council and National Institute for Health Research. Small grant award to further optimise Drink Less app through a Micro-Randomised Trial. (£3,000)
Hub of Trials Methodological Research: Partnership between Medical Research Council and National Institute for Health Research. 3-year PhD studentship at London School Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (£98,500).
- Bell L, Garnett C, Qian T, Perski O, Williamson E, Potts H. Engagement with a Behavior Change App for Alcohol Reduction: Data Visualization for Longitudinal Observational Study. J Med Internet Res 2020;22(12):e23369. URL: https://www.jmir.org/2020/12/e23369. DOI: 10.2196/23369
- Bell L, Garnett C, Qian T, Perski O, Potts H, Williamson E. Notifications to Improve Engagement With an Alcohol Reduction App: Protocol for a Micro-Randomized Trial. JMIR Res Protoc 2020;9(8):e18690. URL: https://www.researchprotocols.org/2020/8/e18690. DOI: 10.2196/18690
- Kelly P, Bell L, Amadi B, et al. TAME trial: a multi-arm phase II randomised trial of four novel interventions for malnutrition enteropathy in Zambia and Zimbabwe - a study protocol. BMJ Open 2019;9:e027548. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2018-027548.
- Pasu S, Bell L, Zenasni Z, Lanz D, Simmonds IA, Thompson A, Yorston D, Laidlaw DAH, Bunce C, Hooper R, Bainbridge JWB; Positioning In Macular Hole Surgery (PIMS) Study Group. Facedown Positioning Following Surgery for Large Full-Thickness Macular Hole: A Multicenter Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2020 Jul 1;138(7):725-730. doi: 10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2020.0987. PMID: 32379288; PMCID: PMC7206530.
- Bell, L., Hooper, R., Bunce, C. et al. Positioning In Macular hole Surgery (PIMS): statistical analysis plan for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 18, 274 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-017-2020-6.
- James Black, Marie Gerdtz, Pat Nicholson, Dianne Crellin, Laura Browning, Julie Simpson, Lauren Bell, Nick Santamaria. Can simple mobile phone applications provide reliable counts of respiratory rates in sick infants and children? An initial evaluation of three new applications. International Journal of Nursing Studies. Volume 52, Issue 5, 2015, Pages 963-969, ISSN 0020-7489, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2015.01.016.
- Teo A, Hasang W, Randall LM, Feng G, Bell L, Unger H, Langer C, Beeson JG, Siba PM, Mueller I, Molyneux ME, Brown GV, Rogerson SJ. Decreasing malaria prevalence and its potential consequences for immunity in pregnant women. J Infect Dis. 2014 Nov 1;210(9):1444-55. doi: 10.1093/infdis/jiu264. Epub 2014 May 5. PMID: 24799599.
- Bennett LR, Wiweko B, Bell L, Shafira N, Pangestu M, Adayana IB, Hinting A, Armstrong G. Reproductive knowledge and patient education needs among Indonesian women infertility patients attending three fertility clinics. Patient Educ Couns. 2015 Mar;98(3):364-9. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2014.11.016. Epub 2014 Nov 24. PMID: 25477052.
Lecturer: MSc Module 2021 “Statistical Methods of Epidemiology”, delivered first lecture.