The BSU has a strong commitment to equality and diversity in the workplace. We recognise that an organisation’s success and competitiveness depends on its ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of its people.
We attract some of the best scientists from around the world, at all stages of their careers, and are a diverse community, with many of our staff and students originating from outside of the UK.
We strive to recruit the best scientists, and encourage applications from candidates from all over the world. Find out about current vacancies.
BSU commitment to Equality and Diversity
The Unit currently has an active Equality and Diversity Committee and has five Equality and Diversity Champions. There is also various information and resources available to BSU members via the Unit intranet.
The BSU supports and encourages female scientists at all stages of their careers and a number of women have achieved notable successes both as members of the BSU staff and as BSU alumni, for example:
- Sylvia Richardson: CBE, current Director of the BSU, President Elect of Royal Statistical Society (RSS), second female to be awarded RSS Guy Medal in Silver, received a Suffrage Science Award in 2016
- Daniela De Angelis: current Deputy Director of the BSU, received a Suffrage Science Award in 2018
- Sheila Bird: FRSE, OBE, RSS Guy Medal in Bronze, RSS Bradford Hill medal in Silver, RSS Chambers Medal in Gold, Bradford Hill Lecturer at LSHTM
- Ethel Newbold: First female to be awarded RSS Guy Medal in Silver
- Hilda Mary Woods: MBE
- Nicola G. Best: RSS Guy Medal in Bronze
In addition many women who did PhDs or post-docs at the BSU have gone on to succeed at the very highest level.
Our employment policies aim to make it as easy as possible for both female and male scientists to combine family life with their career.
The Athena SWAN awards recognise and celebrate good practice in recruiting, retaining and promoting women in science, engineering and technology (SET) within Higher Education. Athena SWAN awards are available at University and Departmental levels. The Clinical School, which the MRC Biostatistics Unit is part of, is proud to say that it holds a silver award. To find out more, click here.