PhD Opportunity with MRC Biostatistics Unit
We currently have a funded PhD studentship available now, working on developing stratified approaches from randomised trials. For further information and to apply, please go to our PhD Opportunities page.
Closing date: Wednesday 25th May
What we do
We are a leading European centre for research in biostatistics and a major centre for training and knowledge transfer. We are part of the Cambridge Institute of Public Health.
Our researchers work across four major themes:
A community-based effort to assess the feasibility of using computational methods to piece together biological networks has shown that solutions to this puzzle may be coming into reach. The international study, presenting findings from a Heritage Provider Network (HPN)-supported DREAM challenge, is published in the journal Nature Methods. BSU's Dr Steven Hill is joint first […]
In a Perspective published in Science today (Friday 23rd October 2015), entitled “Systems biology (un)certainties”, Dr. Paul Kirk from MRC Biostatistics Unit, Dr. Ann Babtie, and Prof. Michael Stumpf, both from Imperial College, highlight the opportunities provided by mathematical models in the biomedical sciences, but stress the importance of assessing uncertainty and avoiding over-interpretation. Mathematical […]
- BSU Director Elected to the Academy of Medical Sciences
We are delighted to announce that our Director, Professor Sylvia Richardson, has been elected a […]
- Celebrating 30 Years of DerSimonian and Laird's Methodology
On Wednesday 13th April, a celebration was held to mark the 30th anniversary since the […]
- New cases of dementia in the UK fall by 20% over two decades, with 40,000 fewer cases than anticipated
The UK has seen a 20% fall in the incidence of dementia over the past […]
- Having fun with statistics at Cambridge Science Festival 2016
The MRC Biostatistics Unit (BSU) was very excited to be taking part once again in […]
- MEANS: python package for Moment Expansion Approximation, iNference and Simulation.
Fan, S., Geissmann, Q., Lakatos, E., Lukauskas, S., Ale, A., Babtie, AC., Kirk, PD., Stumpf, MP.
Bioinformatics [Epub ahead of print]. (5th May 2016)
- Dynamic Risk Stratification of Patient Long-Term Outcome After Pulmonary Endarterectomy: Results From the United Kingdom National Cohort.
Cannon, JE., et al.
Circulation 133(18): 1761-71. (3rd May 2016)
- The Impact of Anesthesiologists on Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Outcomes.
Mackay, JH., Nashef, SA., Paprachristofi, O., Sharples, L.
Anesth. Analg. 122(5): 1719. (30th April 2016)
See more Publications