Clinical Trials: Past, Present & Glorious Future
and 23rd Bradford Hill Memorial Lecture
A meeting to mark the centenary of the MRC Biostatistics Unit (BSU) jointly organised by the Royal Statistical Society (Medical Section), International Biometric Society (British and Irish Region) and PSI (Statisticians in the Pharmaceutical Industry), the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and the BSU. Videos now available from LSHTM video channel.
Current Vacancies at MRC Biostatistics Unit
Postdoctoral Statistician | Investigator Statistician (2) | Senior Investigator Statistician | More...
The BSU is one of the largest groups of biostatisticians in Europe and has established itself as an internationally acclaimed centre for research in biostatistics and a major centre for training and knowledge transfer.
The critical mass of methodological, applied and computational expertise amongst our scientists has ensured an excellent balance between innovation and dissemination of statistical methods, with impact on genuine public health issues.
The MRC Biostatistics Unit (BSU) is actively pursuing research in the emerging area of stratified medicine. Through our Stratified Medicine Initiative and Clinical Trials Methodology Hub, and with our expertise in statistical genomics, machine learning, complex observational and longitudinal data and evidence synthesis, we are well positioned and already engaged in developing and applying novel […]
Improving the quality of analyses in phase II oncology trials assessing the effectiveness of new anti-cancer treatments
James Wason, member of Adrian Mander's Adaptive Clinical Trials research group in the MRC Biostatistics Unit (BSU), is working on improving the quality of analyses in phase II oncology trials. Phase II oncology trials are conducted to gather information on the effectiveness of new anti-cancer treatments. This is to decide whether a phase III trial, […]
- As seen on the news: Report: After the storm? UK blood safety and the risk of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
24 July 2014 NHS patients at risk of getting mad cow disease during surgery MPs […]
- Government must do more to reduce risk of vCJD infection
Commons Select Committees | 24 July 2014 More action is needed to ensure that variant […]
- Short course in Bayesian Methods in Health Economics
3-5 November 2014, UCL Instructors: Gianluca Baio (UCL), Chris Jackson (MRC Biostatistics Unit) & Richard […]
- Sylvia Richardson awarded International Society for Bayesian Analysis fellowship at ISBA World Meeting 2014
The MRC Biostatistics Unit is pleased to announce that our director Sylvia Richardson has received […]
- Short-Course: An Introduction to Multivariate Meta-analysis
Monday 01 September 2014, 10:00am-04:00pm. Organiser Royal Statistical Society Venue Sheffield City Hall, Barker's Pool, […]
- One in three cases of Alzheimer's disease worldwide is preventable, according to Cambridge scientists
14th July 2014 Research by Cambridge scientists says one in three cases of Alzheimer's could […]
- A systematic review and meta-analysis indicates underreporting of renal dysfunction following endovascular aneurysm repair.
Karthikesalingam, A., et al.
Kidney Int. [Epub ahead of print]. (20th August 2014)
- Palliative treatment for symptomatic malignant pericardial effusion†
Jama, GM., Scarci, M., Bowden, J., Marciniak, SJ.
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg [Epub ahead of print]. (20th August 2014)
- Review of methods for handling confounding by cluster and informative cluster size in clustered data.
Seaman, S., Pavlou, M., Copas, A.
Stat Med [Epub ahead of print]. (4th August 2014)
- Relaxing the independent censoring assumption in the Cox proportional hazards model using multiple imputation.
Jackson, D., White, IR., Seaman, S., Evans, H., Baisley, K., Carpenter, J.
Stat Med [Epub ahead of print]. (25th July 2014)
See more Publications