Sylvia Richardson awarded International Society for Bayesian Analysis fellowship at ISBA World Meeting 2014
A ceremony has taken place to announce the new named ISBA fellows at the ISBA World Meeting in the beautiful scenario of Cancun, Mexico on July 14-18. Congratulations, Sylvia! More...
Current Vacancies at MRC Biostatistics Unit
- Senior Investigator Statistician to lead on a range of projects within an overall programme on the "Statistics of Stratified Medicine and Analysis of Complex Phenotypes".
- Investigator Statistician: To develop and publish statistical methodology relevant to the Cancer Research UK funded grant "Improving the power of phase II oncology trials through the use of continuous tumour measurements". More...
The BSU is one of the largest groups of biostatisticians in Europe and has established itself as an internationally acclaimed centre for research in biostatistics and a major centre for training and knowledge transfer.
The critical mass of methodological, applied and computational expertise amongst our scientists has ensured an excellent balance between innovation and dissemination of statistical methods, with impact on genuine public health issues.
Improving the quality of analyses in phase II oncology trials assessing the effectiveness of new anti-cancer treatments
James Wason, member of Adrian Mander's Adaptive Clinical Trials research group in the MRC Biostatistics Unit (BSU), is working on improving the quality of analyses in phase II oncology trials. Phase II oncology trials are conducted to gather information on the effectiveness of new anti-cancer treatments. This is to decide whether a phase III trial, […]
Richard Newton, member of Lorenz Wernisch’s group from the BSU’s Statistical Genomics theme, is analysing data on Streptococcus pneumoniae, also called pneumococcus, which is the main cause of pneumonia and meningitis in children and the elderly and a major cause of mortality worldwide. Asymptomatic carriage of the pneumococcus in the nasopharynx facilitates onwards transmission to […]
- Sylvia Richardson awarded International Society for Bayesian Analysis fellowship at ISBA World Meeting 2014
The MRC Biostatistics Unit is pleased to announce that our director Sylvia Richardson has received […]
- Short-Course: An Introduction to Multivariate Meta-analysis
Monday 01 September 2014, 10:00am-04:00pm. Organiser Royal Statistical Society Venue Sheffield City Hall, Barker's Pool, […]
- One in three cases of Alzheimer's disease worldwide is preventable, according to Cambridge scientists
14th July 2014 Research by Cambridge scientists says one in three cases of Alzheimer's could […]
- Sylvia Richardson keynote speaker at ISBA 2014 World Meeting
14th - 18th July 2014, Cancun, Mexico Sylvia Richardson, Director of the MRC Biostatistics Unit […]
- Brian Tom invited speaker at University of Waterloo
7th - 11th July 2014, Waterloo, Canada This July sees Brian Tom, Programme Leader within […]
- Sheila Bird keynote speaker at Australian Statistical Conference 2014
7th - 10th July 2014, Sydney Sheila Bird, Programme Leader within the ESH: Evidence Synthesis to […]
- Dementia prediction for people with stroke in populations: is mild cognitive impairment a useful concept?
Stephan, BC., Minett, T., Muniz Terrera, G., Matthews, FE., Brayne, C.
Age Ageing [Epub ahead of print]. (7th July 2014)
- OutbreakTools: A new platform for disease outbreak analysis using the R software.
Jombart, T., et al.
Epidemics 7: 28-34. (18th June 2014)
- The need to determine whether lung metastasectomy improves survival in advanced colorectal cancer.
Treasure, T., et al.
BMJ 348: g4085. (18th June 2014)
- The clinical and cost-effectiveness of brief advice for excessive alcohol consumption among people attending sexual health clinics: a randomised controlled trial.
Crawford, MJ., et al.
Sex Transm Infect [Epub ahead of print]. (16th June 2014)
See more Publications